One of the great joys of life has to be exploring other cultures and getting to know their culinary treats. But sometimes, you come across things so gross you just want to crawl up in a ball and weep. Around the world, people drink lizard wine, eat duck embryos, and tons of other weird items. Here are 8 of the strangest and most revolting food items around:
1) Balut – This is a developed duck embryo boiled alive and eaten in its egg. Really common in Southeast Asia and often served with beer.
2) Live Cobra – In the Vietnamese village of Le Mat near Hanoi, they will rip out a snake”s still-beating heart and serve it to you in a bowl. (Pictured here is cobra wine)
3) Cockroach Soup – I”ve had the terrible experience of getting a dead cockroach in my dish at a Chinese restaurant, but never did I imagine people actually ordered the nasty lil” guys, floating around in a soup.
4) Rooster Testicles – Somewhere out there is a rooster feeling very emasculated right now.
5) Haggis – This traditional Scottish dish is made from a sheeps stomach stuffed with diced sheeps liver, lungs and heart, oatmeal, onion, suet and seasoning. You know, all that tasty stuff.
6) Deep Fried and Battered Rat – Was probably about the only thing left for people to try to deep fry.
7) Three Lizard Liquor – This fancy wine is predominantly found in Asia and is typically produced by infusing lizards (three to be precise) into rice wine. The traditional eastern medicine theory states that this allows the lizards energy to be absorbed by the alcohol and thus transferred to whoever drinks it.
8) Fried Chicken Feet – Not so bad, these are probably already in your nuggets.
I”m a pretty adventurous eater but the only ones I would try here are the haggis and chicken feet. I”d run away shrieking and failing my arms around if I ever saw that roach soup. Yuck! Share these disgusting foods with your friends below and ruin their appetites.