If you plan on traveling to Japan, you need to know that the country holds certain traditions you might not expect. You”ve likely seen people bow in greeting, and you probably know about the practice of taking off your shoes when you go indoors. However, there are other customs that you might be unfamiliar with. They could seem a bit strange, but they”re just a bit different. They are, however, pretty strict, so if you”re planning a trip, pay attention to these vital cultural necessities.
1. The number 4 is avoided.
2. Eating while walking is considered sloppy.
3. Capsule hotels.
4. Slurping your food is polite.
5. Slippers everywhere.
6. There are people who will push you into a crowded train.
7. People might use your shoulder as a pillow on the train.
8. Blowing your nose in public is considered rude.
9. Tipping is seen as rude.
10. Always bring your host a gift.
11. Don”t fill your own glass.
(via Business Insider)
Now that we”ve given you the basic rundown, you might be a bit better equipped for world travel. You shouldn”t get too nervous–if you”re not from the area, you get more leeway if you mess up. And if you”re not planning on traveling to Japan, you can at least feel a little less silly about our missing 13th floors.