At the end of the year it”s great to look back on the things we”ve accomplished – the things we”ve created, the things we”ve built. Whether it”s making a chandelier out of coffee stirrers, remodeling an old trailer, or building an apartment out of a small room, DIY projects celebrate our creativity and craftiness.
But we recognize that there are many different forms of DIY. Some involves cooking, some woodworking, others metalworking or electronics. But there is a certain type of DIY that has become its own category. These projects are the ones that don”t make sense from the start, or tend not to make things better (and can even make things look worse). They are silly, junky, or perhaps too do-it-yourself, if there is such a thing. This category is called “DIWhy.” And 2014 was a very DIWhy year.
1. There”s nothing like a homemade child safety lock crafted by a safety-conscious parent.
2. First rule of remodeling – measure twice cut once.
3. Don”t have ice to cool down your wine? Well if you have some freeze pops, you could always use those, I guess. If you really want to…
4. If you really really don”t want to get your brake lights fixed by a mechanic and you”ve got superhero reflexes, you could always install a light switch for turning on your break lights.
5. If you”ve got some extra packing peanuts and eat take-out a lot, you can save some cash on insulation by using both as substitutes.
6. You”ve probably seen one of those luxury vehicles with a hot tub or mini-pool in the back; why not just make your own mobile pool using a pick-up truck and a big water-proof tarp?
7. A nice hot shower is one of life”s little luxuries, and there”s nothing worse than when your hot water”s on the fritz. This seems like a pretty solid solution to the problem, though.
8. Good luck crossing this street.
9. Don”t you hate it when you go through the trouble to make sure your dog doesn”t slip down the stars by installing a carpet path…and then your dog is suddenly full of courage and walks right past your hard work?
10. Mmmmm…trash can lid BBQ.
11. You haven”t listened to radio until you”ve listened to HD radio. You haven”t listened to HD radio until you”ve installed your very own radio antenna. This one”s looks like it works REALLY well.
12. Don”t waste your time with glue, or some special adhesive. When putting broken ceramics back together, just use good ol” duct tape.
13. Need something to support your ever-increasing intellect as well as your lumbar? I think this binder seat-back is just what you need.
14. New headlights can be pricey – which is probably why there is a handheld flashlight jammed into the front of this car.
15. An upholstered fridge. This is an upholstered fridge. With eyes. I… I don”t know what to say besides that. I”m horrified.
16. I love custom desks. Then again, as far as custom desks go, well, this one probably doesn”t cut it.
17. Bathroom remodeling often begins with some sort of demolition – which can be a lot of fun. That is, until your sledgehammer falls on a tub made of solid steel.
18. As if cars weren”t dangerous enough, this car now has one of it”s more volatile contents stored on the outside. Not good.
19. How about a little DIY fashion? These look pretty nice, right? Everyone loves cowboy boots. Everyone loves flip flops. Everyone should love flip flop boots, right? Right? Am I the only one?
20. This terrifying coatrack puts the WHY!??!??!? in DIWhy.
Let this be a warning to all of you bright-eyed DIY-ers out there. Things can go really wrong. I think my New Year”s resolution will be to not let my DIYs turn into DIWhys.