A photo can capture much more than what”s put in front of the lens. In one moment and one limited frame, an entire piece of history can shine through.
These 30 incredible shots capture times past, but have cultural impacts that resonate even today. They are chilling, quotidian, and inspiring. They speak to our collective past.
1. Navajo medicine man, ca. 1904
2. Medical students with cadavers, date unknown
3. Zeppelin over the Pyramids, 1931
4. A B-17 heavy bomber in production, 1942
5. Ruins of the Temple of Jupiter, 1870-1885
6. Soviet nuclear test, 1965
7. At a transit camp between American and Soviet zones, refugees and POWs try to get home.
8. Paula Hitler, Adolph Hitler”s youngest sister, 1945
9. A young Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1967
10. An elephant steps off a Ringling Brothers train car, 1963
11. Ty Cobb slides into home, 1920
12. The 7th Panzer Divison, France, 1940
13. Civil rights activists train to remain stoic in the face of harassment, 1960
14. Survivors from the HMAS Armindale, 1942
15. Coney Island put indigenous people on display, 1905
16. Chinese prisoners used as live targets for bayonet practice, 1938
17. Halftime at the first Superbowl, 1967
18. A husband and wife in Korea, 1904
19. A Cheyenne woman in Oklahoma, 1890-1904
20. Gandhi”s worldly possessions, ca. 1948
21. The building of the Berlin Wall, 1961
22. A soldier walks through the devastated landscape after the Battle of the Somme, 1916
23. Dating sites, ca. 1901
24. Slave cells, Alexandria, VA, ca. 1865
25. IRA girls stop and search a man
26. A Hindenburg survivor smokes a cigarette, 1937
27. Escaping East Germany
28. Hitler meets with an injured soldier. Year unknown.
29. A medical class, 1910
30. The first Secret Service,
If there”s one thing these photos show, it”s that very much has changed, but at the same time, very much has stayed the same. These images will continue to be important as we continue on into the future so that we don”t forget our past.