Cooking involves three valuable elements…time, talent, and money. Many people skip from-scratch recipes and opt for cheaper, faster options…but lose out on that home-cooked taste. With these 12 epic hacks for store-bought foods, anyone can be a five star chef without spending too much time or cash. Whether you”re cooking for yourself or for a big group, these easy dishes are sure to please.
1. Pre-made pie crust can be a little bit boring. Roll in cookie crumbs for a sweet taste and crispy texture. See step-by-step instructions at Dinner With Julie.
2. Add your favorite vegetables to canned soup for a more filling and nutritious meal. Throw in some spices and even a little white wine for a real home cooked taste. Head to Soup Chick for inspiration.
3. Mix flavorful veggies like peppers and olives in with canned tuna for a healthy, protein-filled meal. See the full recipe on Etsy.
4. Tomato sauce in a jar is bland, but add oregano, thyme, green peppers and some ground beef for that from-scratch taste. See more suggestions on
The Pioneer Woman.
5. Jazz up plain hummus with authentic Greek touches like olive oil, feta cheese, and paprika. Check out more tasty hummus ideas from Tia Nguyen.
6. Make a super sweet ice cream cake using cool whip, ice cream sandwiches and your favorite candy. Read the step-by-step instructions on The Weekend Homemaker.
7. Frozen pierogies get an extra kick when sauteed with fresh garlic and onions. Ruth Hendricks has more details on this hack.
8. Fresh mozzarella can be pricey, so soak regular mozzarella in a salt and milk bath to get the same taste. Get the logistics on Local Lemons.
9. Drizzle chocolate over plain popcorn for a sweet twist. Head to Flora Foodie for even more popcorn flavor hacks.
10. Pillsbury cinnamon rolls can be put into a waffle maker instead of batter for fluffy cinnamon waffles. Pillsbury”s website has the full tutorial.
11. Make canned baked beans taste like a pit master”s creation with barbecue sauce, peppers, onions and mustard. Head to Our Treasured Home for more tips.
12. Make boxed cake mix taste like artisan bakery goodness by adding pudding and sour cream. Bon Appetit has the details.
Complicated recipes can discourage any aspiring cook. Instead of stressing over preparation, hack into your grocery store and enjoy cooking just a little bit more. Know someone who could benefit from these tips? Share it!